GF Macaroni and cheese, better than from a box
Cooks in Serves 6
- *12-16 oz gluten free pasta(I use corn or brown rice)
- 1/4 cup butter
- *1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- *2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- *1 tsp salt
- *1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar, monterey jack, colby are all fine
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*, grease a large casserole well.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain and and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, and slowly add brown rice flour, whisking together until smooth, to create a roux, or white sauce base. Gradually add the milk into the roux mixture, whisking well, then heat until mix thickens, stirring frequently.
- Add in your mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper to your thickening white sauce, keep whisking, and slowly add in your shredded cheese and cream cheese. Keep whisking until the cheese is all melted and the sauce is thick and creamy.
- To the cheese sauce add the cooked GF pasta, and stir gently until well mixed. Carefully pour the mac and cheese into your prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake in the 350* oven for 20 minutes, until the top is bubbly and crispy.